Today on A Few Words, I’m happy to have Janiera Eldridge, author of Soul Sisters, an urban fantasy novel about African-American twin sisters. Ani and Dana who have a rather unique secret: one sister is human while the other is a vampire. While the sisters have lived peacefully with each other for many years, one fateful night changes both their lives forever.
Read on to find out more about how Janiera tackled the question of how to create the vampires in her world!
Designing a Modern Day Vampire
by Janiera Eldridge
Now that vampires are hotter than ever some people complain that they’re tired of vampires. I personally never get tired of them because I read many different genres of books. I very rarely read vampire books back to back so when I do read them, their exciting to me. I can see how some people are a little burnt out though especially if they pay attention to the media.
Although it’s become the cool thing to hate Twilight, it has actually been very influential in my writing. I don’t believe my writing styles to be like Stephanie Meyers but, Twilight encouraged to me to come up with a unique angle on vampires. Vampires are fictional so you can write them anyway you want and Meyers managed to put a new spin on vampires which is why she is popular now. So whether you hate her or love her she did something different and that in the end is what counts. When I wrote my story I set out to do something different which means I had to come up with my own terms of what a vampire meant in my book.
- My vampires are 100% day walkers. They can’t be in direct sunlight or it will burn their skin and leave terrible scars. They can walk around in indirect sunlight or in direct sunlight only if they are dressed in all wool clothing to block out the sun.
- They are usually gorgeous creatures who are examples of absolute perfection. However, when their fangs descend, you know there will be trouble! Their skin often turns grey and their features grow grotesque! They look normal doing day to day activities but deep inside a monster is being stiffened.
- Not to give any spoilers away but every vampire has a human twin; you have to read book and two to see how that works out. 😉
- Every vampire has a super power. Although this is a common trait in vampire stories, it is still a cool thing to have. Who wouldn’t want to read mines or see into the future?
- Holy water doesn’t scare these vampires but silver and diamond spurs spell trouble!
- Vampires and werewolves were made by the same people but are now enemies, another mystery you have to read the books to learn the answer to.
Although my next series will not be about vampires ( it will be about serial killers), I don’t think I will ever get tired of this genre, especially if new and exciting authors keep expounding on this classic folklore.
What are some traits you enjoy in your vampire novels?
More about this great novel under the cut!